Redistricting: Upcoming meetings for City Council, LAUSD, and State of California
Lea esta información en Español:
Redistricting Commissions for the City of Los Angeles, State of California, and the LA Unified School District are very interested in hearing from Neighborhood Councils and the communities they serve.
Please share your thoughts on the redistricting process in writing or at one of the meetings below, and please share this info with your neighbors, to ensure you get the representation you need and deserve.
WHAT IS REDISTRICTING?
Redistricting redraws the boundaries for elected offices. It happens every 10 years, the year after the U.S. Census takes place.
Boundaries are redrawn based on the latest Census data, as well as on community feedback. That’s why writing letters or attending redistricting meetings can have a real impact on ensuring your community has a strong voice and its fair share of resources.
WHAT DISTRICT(S) AM I IN?
LOS ANGELES CITY COUNCIL
Two Citywide sessions are planned to discuss the boundaries of the 15 LA City Council Districts. See an LA City Council District map: http://tiny.cc/CityCouncilMap
- Wednesday, August 25, 6:00pm (session conducted in Spanish)
- Saturday, September 11, 10:00am (session conducted English)
To join by phone: call (669) 254-5252, enter 161 545 4787#
To request to speak, use the Raise Hand button (if joining online) or press *9 (if joining by phone). You will have 3 minutes to speak – see public comment tips below. To submit written comments, visit http://bit.ly/lacitycoi
Learn more about LA City Council redistricting and see additional public session announcements at http://laccrc2021.org
LA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT (BOARD OF EDUCATION)
Here are the upcoming virtual meetings to discuss boundary lines for the Los Angeles Unified School District/Board of Education:
- Saturday, August 21, 11:00am
- Monday, August 23, 6:30pm
- Wednesday, August 25, 6:30pm
- Saturday, August 28, 11:00am
- Monday, August 30, 6:30pm
- Wednesday, September 1, 6:30pm
Or join by phone: 1 (669) 254-5252
Meeting ID: 161 077 4991
Spanish interpretation will be provided at all LAUSD meetings. To request interpretation services in a different language, please email redistricting.LAUSD@lacity.org
or call (213) 221-2245, at least 72 hours in advance of the hearing.
For updates, follow @RedistrictLAUSD on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
STATE OF CALIFORNIA (CONGRESS, STATE OFFICES)
State redistricting discussions include Congress (US House of Representatives), California State Senate, California State Assembly, and the State Board of Equalization (property, alcohol, and insurance company taxes.)
Angelenos can weigh in on how the California redraws boundaries for these districts on Wednesday September 8 (3:00 – 7:00pm). The meeting will be in English with Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese translation.
Public comments must be made by phone during the State’s sessions, by calling (877) 853-5247 and pressing *9. You will have 3 minutes to speak. (See public comment tips below.)
Need help or have questions? Please call (916) 323-0323.
HOW TO MAKE A GREAT PUBLIC COMMENT
If you comment at a meeting, you will only have 3 minutes to speak, so make sure to share your most important point first.
Whether you comment live or in writing, the California Redistricting Commission suggests covering these points below, to create maximum impact:
- State your location – city, county, School District, or neighborhood name.
- Mention the street names or landmarks in your neighborhood to help identify your community.
- What shared interests define your community?
- What brings you together?
- What is important to your community?
- Are there nearby areas you want to be in a district with?
- Nearby areas you don’t want to be in a district with? Why or why not?
- Has your community come together to advocate for important services, better schools, roads, or health centers in your neighborhood?